Difference between Cloud vs VPS Hosting in the web hosting industry is becoming quite a buzz nowadays. Most of the people generally tend to misread the basic difference between cloud vs VPS ( Virtual Private Server Hosting ). This is due to the lack of awareness about the differentiating factors of these two web hosting technologies. Firstly, I’ll discuss the basics of cloud and VPS Hosting for a while about what they are. In simple words, cloud and virtualization is something that separates the hardware, operating system, and the application running on that hardware from each other. The basic concept remains the same in both of the technologies. However, reliability, flexibility, and availability have been some major separating indicators between the two of them.
What is VPS Hosting?
VPS hosting is a Virtual Private Server and also a virtualized server. A VPS hosting environment mimics a dedicated server within a shared hosting environment. It is technically both shared hosting and dedicated hosting. To have a website on the internet, you need to have your website files on a web server. The architecture is one which has multiple individual dedicated slots on the same virtual machine. Each slot can be assigned to dedicated resources. Nonetheless, the technology generally works on a time-shared or resource-shared phenomenon.
Benefits of VPS Hosting
- VPS hosting offers total and complete freedom. Free to manage your server as you like, you have access to everything and you can install all the software you need.
- Hosting in VPS is very efficient. Unlike shared hosting, the VPS is not dependent on traffic or audience. You have your own resources and you are isolated from other servers.
- Hosting in VPS is secure. All your files are private and inaccessible to other clients regardless of their rights on the server.
What is Cloud Hosting?
Cloud hosting is the top of the line website hosting solution available presently. The technology has already achieved a tremendous level of acceptance in a short period of time. Websites hosted on the cloud are accessible anytime, anywhere. This means that hosting resources for each website are replicated on every cloud server in the cluster. For example, if one cloud server has maximum traffic already, then it automatically routes the query for the specific site to the idle cloud server in the cluster.
Benefits of Cloud Hosting
- It is relatively reliable because your website is hosted on a virtual partition that takes advantage of multiple physical networks. When one of the servers goes offline, it will slightly reduce the resource level to the cloud but will not add up to your website. No inaccessibility or anything else.
- It is also secured by many physical servers that are protected from third-parties who want to access their premises or interrupt their services.
- Cloud hosting is extensible, flexible, and scalable. It does not have the same constraints as a single server. Resources are available according to your requests and in real time.
- Cloud hosting is economical because you only pay for what you use.
Which Server Hosting to Choose? Cloud / VPS Hosting
VPS hosting is generally less efficient since it allocates a specified amount of computing resources to each client. Hence, if the requirement increases, the system would not be able to handle the additional inflow. It will simply crash. Same would be the case if the server malfunctions.
Cloud hosting, on the other hand, tackles the increase differently. Under the cloud environment, the website is a host on a pool of unified computing resources. This simply means that if one server is reaching its optimum level, then a second server is ready to function. Similarly, if a server fails, the website will still be running as other servers will continue to serve the incoming traffic. If you want reliability and powerful functionality, then Cloud hosting is a great choice. The recent price slashes in cloud infrastructure from Amazon and the likes shows that the market has immense growth potential. Furthermore, it shows that cloud hosting is getting affordable too.
Why Cloud Hosting is best against VPS Hosting?
However, The cloud-based hosting, is more stable and best as there will not be any effect on performance when a part of the component goes down as it is decentralize. In the Cloud, there is an option to integrate additional resources if needed. RAM, disc space, or bandwidth, etc., can be added with few clicks and dismissed when no longer needed without financial loss. Thus, Cloud hosting can also be defined as a web hosting solution that provides resources on demand. Therefore, It is dynamically scalable and customizable according to the needs of the customer. No large investments are require. Unnecessary resources can be remove without any cancellation or further fees.