Let’s learn how to host a website on your own if you are a newbie. The first thing to consider when starting your website is to choose a web hosting provider. The web hosting provider provides the web space (i.e. special computers called web servers) where your website files are stored, as well as the technologies and services needed for your website to be viewed on the Internet. These are the hosting Shared Hosting, VPS Hosting Services, Dedicated Server.
Nexahost add-on services provided by a web hosting provider typically include data backup, firewall protection, technical support, email services, domain name registration, website building tools, and applications.
If you’re just starting out, it’s a good idea to get your domain and hosting from the same company. This will ensure your domain is seamlessly and conveniently configured with your web hosting account.
Here are the Steps to Host a Website:
Step 1: Decide What Type of Website You Want
You will typically find 2 types of websites:
- Static or Basic Websites
- Dynamic Websites
Installing a web application software like WordPress, Joomla, Magento, etc. may sound complicated but it’s not. HostGator India allows you one-click installation of web applications and provides friendly 24/7/365 support to make it easy.
Step 2: Choose Your Hosting Server
Unlike static HTML sites which can be hosted on most web servers, when it comes to web applications, there are basically two types of hosting platforms. Depending on your hosting needs and what you’re most comfortable with, you can choose from:
- Linux Hosting
- Windows Hosting
You can go with either Linux hosting or Windows hosting, regardless of which operating system you use at home or at work. If your website doesn’t require any scripting support, you’ll find Linux hosting more cost-effective. But if your website needs scripting and database support, choose the platform that supports the technologies you use.
Step 3: Select Your Web Hosting Plan
You will typically find a wide range of services in web hosting, such as:
- Shared Hosting
- VPS Hosting (Virtual Private Server Hosting)
- Dedicated Hosting
- Cloud Hosting
Most people start with VPS (or even shared) hosting and upgrade later as their business grows. VPS hosting gives you professional web hosting capabilities at a far lower price than a dedicated server.
Step 4: Change Your DNS Address
After you have purchased your web hosting, you will get Name Servers which is the Internet’s equivalent of a phone book that contains IP Addresses. To get your website up and working, you will need to change the Name Servers of your domain. It’s a simple but mandatory step for you to get started.
- Go to your Domain Control Panel via https://nexahost.com/Domain/.
- Enter your registered email address and password.
- Click on the Domain Name for which you need to change the Name Servers.
- In the Domain Registration section, click on the Name Servers option.
- Replace the existing Name Servers with the ones provided by your current web host, and click on the Update Name Servers button.
Step 5: Upload Your Website
You can now upload your website to your account by connecting to the server using either cPanel’s File Manager or FTP Client (such as FileZilla) – after which your website will go live.
How to Upload Your Website Using cPanel File Manager
- Log in to your cPanel.
- Click on the icon titled File Manager.
- Select Web Root and click on Go.
- Add all the files and folders under public_html and their respective domain folder.
How to Upload Your Website Using FTP Client
You can connect to FTP via an FTP program such as FileZilla Client. It allows you to see the files and folders on our server like you’d see them on your computer. You can use it to drag and drop your website’s files into the /public_html/ folder.
To connect to your web server via FileZilla, follow these steps:
- Install FileZilla and open it
- From the File menu, select Site Manager
- Click on New Site
- Name the New Site – such as with your real domain name
- Enter your website’s IP address in the field marked FTP Address
- Enter the username and password you received in your welcome mail
- Set the Port to 21
- Click Connect
Once your FTP is connected, you will see the files and folders of your:
- A local computer on the left
- Web hosting service on the right
To upload files to your hosting service provider via FileZilla, follow these steps:
- From the left-hand side of FileZilla, select the file(s) and folder(s) you want to upload.
- Drag and drop the file(s) and folder(s) to the directory location on the right side of your web hosting service. FileZilla will now start uploading.
- After the uploading is finished, FileZilla log will confirm success and your uploads will be visible on the right-hand side.