SMTP stands for simple mail transfer protocol. It is a communication protocol for electronic mail transmission. This is a program use for sending messages for other computer users based on email address. It provide a mail exchange between users on the same or different computers.
The main purpose of SMTP is used to set up communication rules between servers. The server have a way of identify themselves and announce what kind of communication they are trying to perform. Therefore, they also have a way of handling the errors above all. For instance, In other words, if the recipient address is wrong, then receiving server reply with an error message.
Moreover, it also support:
- It can send a single message to one or more recipient
- Send message can include text, voice, video or graphics
- Therefore, it can also send a messages on network outside the internet
Working of SMTP
- Composition of mail :- A user sends an e-mail by composing an electronic mail message using a Mail User Agent (MUA). It is a program which is use to send and receive mail.
- Submission of mail :- After composing an mail, the client submit the complete mail to the SMTP server.
- Delivery of mail :- Email address contain two parts: username of the recipient and domain name. Moreover, For instance email@example.com similarly where ansh is the username of the recipient and @gmail.com is the domain name.
- Receipt and Processing of mail :- The incoming message is receive, the exchange server delivers it to the incoming server which stores the e-mail where it waits for the user to retrieve it.
- Access and retrieval of mail :- The stored email in MDA can be retrieve by using MUA (Mail User Agent). MUA can be access by using login and password.
Features of SMTP server
- Dedicated IP address :- Use of dedicated IP address to increase your sender reputation and avoid blacklisting of your IP.
- SPF & DKIM record :- It’s your own company and domain sending the message and minimize the amount of messages that are marked spam.
- Servers you can trust :- This server send your mails using secure SSL connection.
- Statistics :- you can discover the amount of messages sent out.
- Reports :- It generate their sending report and delivery error report.